We recognize that college affordability and accessibility are critical in moving Wisconsin forward. Since the 2011 state budget, the cumulative cuts to the UW system have totaled $795 million. Adjusted for inflation, this means Wisconsin now spends less on educating its UW students than at any time in its history. These cuts have harmed students by reducing class offerings and programs, increasing class sizes, and lengthening the time to degree.
In August 2016, the Board of Regents released a strategic plan entitled “2020FWD.” We believe any strategic plan that is truly forward-looking should fully fund the tuition freeze by 2020. According to the governor’s calculations, this would require a $70 million increase in funding in each of the next three years.
For the benefit of UW students and the economic vitality of this state, we, the undersigned, pledge to support fully funding the freeze.
A partial list of signatories and endorsers follows the pledge.
Over 1300 individuals and counting — faculty, academic staff, students, and community members — have signed so far! PLUS:
- Representative Peter Barca, Kenosha (Assembly District 64)
- Representative Dana Wachs, Eau Claire (Assembly District 91)
- Representative Katrina Shankland, Stevens Point (Assembly District 71)
- Representative Eric Genrich, Green Bay (Assembly District 90)
- Senator Dave Hansen, Green Bay (Senate District 30)
- Representative Jill Billings, La Crosse (Assembly District 95)
- Representative Gordon Hintz, Oshkosh (Assembly District 54)
Shared Governance Groups:
- UW-Stevens Point Student Government Association
- UW-Stevens Point Faculty Council
- UW-River Falls Faculty Senate
- UW-Green Bay Academic Staff Council
- UW-Green Bay Faculty Senate
- UW-Green Bay Student Government Association
- UW-Whitewater Faculty Senate
- UW-La Crosse Faculty Senate
- UW-Milwaukee Faculty Senate
Other Notable Signatories and Endorsers:
- Randi Weingarten, President, American Federation of Teachers
- Judy Gatlin, Eau Claire County Board (District 14)
- Greater West Central Area Labor Council of AFL-CIO
- AFSCME Local 1914 (UW-Eau Claire)